If you’re tired of being restricted by speed limiters and what to know how to remove speed limiter on electric scooter, you’ve come to the right place.
In this post, I’ll walk you through the process of removing speed limiters on electric scooters, giving you the ability to manage your ride. Electric scooters have grown in popularity in recent years, providing a practical, eco-friendly, and enjoyable form of transportation.
Manufacturers, on the other hand, use speed limiters to assure rider safety and comply with rules. But don’t worry! You can enjoy quicker speeds and an entirely new level of thrill by deleting the speed limits. So, get ready to discover the thrilling world of speed restriction removal and unlock your ride’s ultimate potential!
|Understanding Speed Limiters on Electric Scooters||Speed limiters are mechanisms integrated into electric scooters to restrict their maximum speed. They prioritize rider safety by avoiding accidents caused by excessive speed and help manufacturers comply with legal regulations.|
|Methods to Remove Speed Limiters||There are several methods to remove speed limiters from electric scooters. These include overriding the speed limiter from display settings, removing the speed limiter wire from the controller, using the Switching-On Method, enabling sports or turbo mode, and swapping components for higher performance.|
|Technical Hacks and Modifications||For those with technical knowledge, additional methods can be used to increase the scooter speed limit. Changing to a higher-performance battery can provide more power output. Rewinding the motor’s copper wire coils can enhance power output and torque.|
|Specific Scooter Models||Specific instructions are provided for removing speed limiters on popular electric scooter models, such as Ninebot, Razor, Xiaomi, and AOVO PRO. These instructions involve using smartphone apps and custom firmware to disable the speed limit.|
|Important Considerations and Safety Precautions||Riders need to consider legality, warranty implications, and safety when removing speed limiters. Adhering to traffic laws, using protective equipment, and maintaining the scooter’s components are essential for safe riding.|
Understanding Speed Limiters on Electric Scooters:
Purpose of a Speed Limiter:
Before we begin the process of abolishing speed limits, let us first define what they are and why they exist. A speed limiter is a mechanism integrated into electric scooters that limits the maximum speed at which the scooter can operate. It functions as a governor, limiting the speed to a manufacturer-specified limit.
Reasons Why Manufacturers Implement Speed Limiters:
- Considerations for Rider Safety – The major rationale for implementing speed limiters is to prioritize rider safety. Electric scooters are designed to function at a safe speed range in order to avoid accidents and provide riders with appropriate control. Manufacturers want to reduce the danger of accidents caused by excessive speed by designating a maximum speed.
- Legal Compliance – Electric scooters are subject to different speed limits in different locations and governments. Manufacturers install speed limiters to keep scooters within legal limits in order to comply with these rules. Riders can avoid fines and legal difficulties while still enjoying their rides.
- Optimization of Battery Life and Range – Speed has a direct impact on battery life and range. Manufacturers improve the scooter’s battery performance by limiting the top speed, letting riders enjoy longer journeys on a single charge. This contributes to an increase in the overall efficiency and usability of electric scooters.
- Rider Comfort – Riding at fast speeds on an electric scooter can be uncomfortable, especially for new riders learning to ride. By reducing the top speed of the scooter, speed limiters might help to make the ride more comfortable.
Methods How to Remove Speed Limiter on Electric Scooter:
Now, let’s look at the numerous options for removing speed limits from your electric scooter. Remember to remain cautious and emphasize safety throughout the procedure. Before performing any modifications, always review the user handbook for your scooter and consider the legal consequences in your region.
Method 1: Overriding the Speed Limiter from the Display Settings:
One of the most accessible methods is through the “hidden” settings option on the scooter’s display. This process varies slightly depending on the scooter model, but here are the general steps to override the speed limit:
- Begin by turning on your electric scooter’s display. This is normally accomplished by hitting the power button or following the manufacturer’s particular instructions.
- Once the display is on, navigate to the “hidden” settings menu. The exact combination of buttons to press or hold varies by scooter type, so consult the user manual or manufacturer’s instructions for the particular combination of buttons to press or hold.
- Scroll through the choices in the “hidden” settings menu until you reach the “speed limit” section. It is usually expressed by two or three numbers with the units “mph” or “km/h.”
- Set the value in the “speed limit” section to its highest value. This maximum value is usually shown as 100. By increasing the speed limit to its maximum value, you basically eliminate the manufacturer’s speed limitation.
- Exit the settings menu and restart your scooter once you’ve set the speed restriction to its maximum. The revised settings should now be in effect, allowing you to ride at a faster speed.
Method 2: Removing the Speed Limiter Wire from Controller
If you prefer a more hands-on approach to removing the speed limits on your electric scooter, you may manually remove the speed limiter wire. This procedure entails accessing your scooter’s speed controller and removing the wire responsible for speed limitation. The following are the steps to carry out this procedure:
Tools Required: A pincer and a screwdriver
- Before you begin, make sure your electric scooter is switched off and unplugged from any power source. This is critical for your safety and to avoid any electrical disasters.
- The speed controller, often known as the motor controller, is an electrical circuit that regulates the speed of the scooter. It is normally found towards the bottom, front of the deck, within the scooter’s housing. The speed limiter cable is attached to this controller.
- Remove the two crosshead screws located at the bottom and front of the deck with a pincer. These screws secure the shell and provide access to the inside components.
- Slide the case open towards the front wheel to reveal the scooter’s inside. During this operation, take care not to damage any cables or components.
- A cluster of cables linked to the speed controller may be found in the exposed region. Locate the speed limiter wire, which is normally a group of four wires of the same color. This wire is typically white, however, the color coding may change depending on the scooter type.
- When you’ve found the speed restriction wire, carefully remove it away from the connecting point. To free any connections or terminals that are keeping it in place, you may need to use a screwdriver. Make a note of where the cable is and how it is attached for future reference.
- After removing the speed limiter wire, it is critical to cover the cut ends to avoid short circuits or damage. Tape the wire ends to insulate them and keep them clean from dirt or moisture. Then, connect the casing to the deck by reattaching the two crosshead screws at the bottom and the two at the top.
Always exercise caution and prioritize your safety when making any modifications to your electric scooter.
Method 3: The Switching-On Method
The Switching-On Method might be just what you’re looking for. You may release the speed restriction and enjoy speedier journeys by following a few simple steps. Here’s how it’s done:
- Begin by turning on your electric scooter while firmly pressing the left brake. This operation acts as the first trigger for the unlocking of the speed limit.
- Gently operate the right speed adjustment lever while keeping control of the left brake. Raising and lowering the lever gradually to provide smooth motions.
- After doing the delicate manipulation, swiftly pull the correct speed adjustment lever and hold it in place for at least 10 seconds. This step sends a signal to the scooter’s system, requesting that the speed limit be disabled or adjusted.
- After the 10-second timer has expired, release both the left brake and the right speed control lever at the same time. This is the final stage in the unlocking procedure.
- Turn the scooter off fully. This permits the system to be reset and the modifications made during the unlocking procedure to be implemented.
- Now, restart the electric scooter. When you resume your scooter, you’ll notice a dramatic difference: the speed limit has been effectively removed, and your scooter’s peak speed has been unlocked.
Modifying the speed limits on your electric scooter may result in legal ramifications and may violate the manufacturer’s warranty.
Method 4: Enabling Sports or Turbo Mode
Certain electric scooter models include a sport or turbo mode, which allows for faster speeds and eliminates or increases the speed restriction. This model is frequently accessed by display settings or by tapping a certain sequence of buttons.
Sport mode not only raises the speed of the scooter, but it may also improve acceleration and overall performance. To find out if your scooter has this function, see your user manual or contact the manufacturer.
Method 5: Swapping Components:
Another way to give your electric scooter an extra boost is by swapping out a few key components. Let’s dive into the process and get you up to speed on how to make your scooter faster.
First and foremost, consider improving the motor. A high-performance motor will allow you to accelerate faster and reach greater peak speeds. Just make sure the replacement motor is compliant with the specifications of your scooter.
Consider the battery next. A larger battery gives more power to the motor, which translates to faster speeds. Check the manufacturer’s instructions and, if necessary, consult a professional to guarantee a seamless upgrade.
Don’t overlook your tires. Choose high-performance ones made for electric scooters. These can increase traction while decreasing rolling resistance, resulting in a quicker and more agile ride.
The controller is also important. By replacing the default controller with a higher-performance one, you have more control over speed and acceleration. Installation and compatibility are critical, so seek professional assistance if you are unsure.
Finally, explore some aerodynamic improvements. Reduce drag and boost your scooter’s peak speed by adding fairings, windshields, or streamlined body panels. Look for solutions that are tailored to your scooter model.
Always prioritize safety while modifying your scooter. Understand the technical specifications, adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendations, and wear appropriate safety equipment. Remember that tampering with some components may void the warranty, so weigh the advantages and disadvantages.
Technical Hacks to Increase Scooter Speed Limit:
There are a handful of technological tricks you may try if you want to stretch the speed restrictions of your electric scooter even further. These approaches need a higher degree of technical knowledge and skill, so proceed with caution and make sure you’re comfortable with these changes.
A. Changing the Scooter Battery for a Higher-Performance One:
Upgrading to a higher-performance battery is one option to enhance the speed limit of your electric scooter. Higher voltage or capacity lithium-ion batteries can give a boost in power output, allowing your scooter to attain faster speeds.
However, it is critical to confirm that the replacement battery is compatible with your scooter’s motor and controller. Before making any battery modifications, get expert assistance and consider asking the scooter manufacturer for recommendations.
B. Rewinding the Scooter Motor to Improve Power Output:
A more complicated modification is rewinding the motor, which entails removing the motor and rewinding the copper wire coils to enhance power output. This technique can boost the motor’s efficiency and torque, resulting in faster speeds and better performance.
Motor rewinding, on the other hand, needs specialist knowledge and expertise. To guarantee accurate rewinding and avoid damaging the motor, seek expert assistance or contact experienced members of the electric scooter community.
Removing Speed Limiters on Specific Electric Scooter Models:
If you own a specific electric scooter model, you may be wondering about the steps to remove the speed limiter. Let’s explore the process for popular scooter models:
A. How to remove speed limiter on electric scooter ninebot
- Install the Shao Flasher and ES DownG applications on your Android device.
- Bluetooth your Ninebot ES4 scooter to your phone.
- Select your scooter from the list in the Shao Flasher app.
- In the app, downgrade the BLE version to 1.0.6.
- Turn off and then back on your scooter.
- Use your phone’s Chrome browser to go to the given website.
- Select the ES4 model and adjust the power and speed settings.
- Save the changes and then choose “Time to Cook.”
- Connect your scooter to the ES DownG app and check the version.
- Flash the downloaded file on the ES DownG software and turn your scooter on/off.
B. How to remove speed limiter on razor electric scooter
Here are the steps to modify the speed controller of a Razor electric scooter for more speed and power:
- Gather the following tools: a Phillips head screwdriver, pliers, a 3mm Allen key, a soldering iron, solder, flux (optional), and an appropriate metal piece.
- Disconnect and remove the scooter’s speed controller.
- Unscrew the lid to access the speed controller.
- Determine the shunt that is restricting current to the motor.
- Make a copper shunt to replace the old one.
- In lieu of the original shunt, solder the copper shunt.
- Reconnect all cables and reassemble the speed controller.
- Securely reinstall the changed speed controller in the scooter.
- Reattach the support strap and reconnect the battery.
- To feel the enhanced speed and torque, test the scooter’s throttle response and take it for a test trip.
C. How to remove speed limiter on electric scooter Xiaomi (for all versions)
- To disable the speed restriction, you’ll need the Xiaomi Home app, the M365 Down G app, and custom firmware.
- The M365 Down G application, which can be downloaded from the Play Store, is used to link your scooter to your tablet.
- Download the modified firmware necessary to remove the speed limit from the link provided in the video explanation.
- You may need to unzip the firmware after downloading it before proceeding.
- Before using the M365 Down G application to connect to your mobile, connect your scooter to the Xiaomi Home application and make sure it is switched on.
- To remove the speed limit, open the firmware file in the M365 Down G program and click “Flash” once connected.
- If you have already loaded a customized version of the firmware that overclocks the scooter, flashing the firmware again may ruin the current customizations.
D. How to remove speed limiter on electric scooter Aovo pro
- Go to your device’s Bluetooth settings.
- In the device list, choose the AOVO PRO electric scooter.
- Select the scooter’s settings option.
- The speed restriction is 25 by default, however, it can be increased to 31.
- Take advantage of the improved speed and explore the planet.
Important Considerations and Safety Precautions:
Legality and Regulations – Before removing the speed limitation, learn about the local rules and regulations that apply to electric scooters. Changing the speed limit may result in noncompliance with legal regulations, which may result in fines or penalties.
Warranty Void – Removing the speed restriction may void the manufacturer’s warranty. Be mindful of the potential implications and weigh the benefits of enhanced speed vs warranty coverage.
Safety – Remove the speed limits to greatly raise the risk of operating an electric scooter. Make sure you have the skills and expertise to manage the higher speeds safely. Always use protective equipment, such as an electric scooter helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads.
Ride Responsibly – Even with the speed limits lifted, it’s critical to riding safely and considerately. Follow traffic laws, keep control of your scooter, and be alert of your surroundings.
Regular Maintenance – Keep in mind that changing the speed restriction on your scooter may have an impact on its overall performance and durability. To guarantee safe and dependable operation, examine and service your scooter’s components like as brakes, tires, and batteries on a regular basis.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it legal to remove the speed limiter from an electric scooter?
In many regions, tampering with the speed limiter of an electric scooter is illegal. Manufacturers install speed limiters to ensure the scooter complies with local regulations.
Can I remove the speed limiter myself?
While it’s technically possible to remove the speed limiter on some electric scooters, it’s not recommended for several reasons. Doing so may void your warranty, compromise the scooter’s safety mechanisms, and lead to unpredictable performance.
What are the risks of removing the speed limiter?
Removing speed limiter in scooter might become difficult to control at high speeds, increasing the risk of accidents and injuries. It can also lead to premature wear and tear on components, reducing the scooter’s overall lifespan.
Will removing the speed limiter affect battery life?
Yes, removing the speed limiter could impact the scooter’s battery life negatively. Running the scooter at higher speeds requires more power, which can result in faster battery drain and reduced range per charge.
How can I make my electric scooter faster without removing the speed limiter?
If you’re looking for improved performance without tampering with the speed limiter, focus on proper maintenance, keeping the tires properly inflated, and maintaining a suitable riding posture.
Why would someone want to remove the speed limiter?
Removing the speed limiter might increase the top speed of your electric scooter, providing a faster and potentially more thrilling ride.
While eliminating speed limiters on electric scooters may be appealing, it is critical to approach this change with a strong emphasis on safety and respect for local rules.
Riders like you may have genuine reasons for wanting to go faster, it’s critical to recognize the possible hazards and implications. Beyond eliminating limiters, customization possibilities for enhancing scooter speed include component modifications and maintenance optimization.
Riders should always emphasize safety, undertake comprehensive research, and make educated judgments that are consistent with their own preferences and legal obligations.
Finally, establishing a balance between customization and careful riding ensures that your electric scooter experience is both pleasurable and legal.